Wednesday 17 August 2011

I lost my keys to the Ivory Tower.

And while we're at it, anyone see where I parked my brain?



Guess I should start reading again > TV


I'm actually worried - I'm trying to think of when last I read a really inspiring, mind-blowing book. Grey [don't]matter. Vacuous space. 


I miss being able to get into French philosophy and lofty theories. I think I've gotten dumber since I graduated. And I'm aware of the painful elitist I'm sounding like, but it would only be snobbery if I were still spewing forth from inside the actual Tower (not making mud pies in the gutter next to it). Those days are over. 


‘Life After Warcraft’ – the Academics Speak
Or maybe I was never really 'in there' to begin with? Like that clinger-on, dingleberry kid who gets chosen last for the team but considers the captain her bestie? Delusions of desperation.


I hope the Intelligentsia aren't laughing right now while peering down at me from the view at the top; down their long, crooked noses and largely protruding chins (to grip when feeling pensive, obviously). Their features are pointy. Their bulbous heads are oddly disproportionate to their pointy features. You should see their index fingers. They like to make points.


I feel like I'm progressively sliding backwards and butt-first down the slippery slide, my costume bunching up (bad lycra!), getting plastic roasties and forgetting all my glorious varsity knowledge. It just gets harder and harder to tap into. My conversations skills have taken a turn for the worse too. And like, I'm totes okay with it.


From now on: discussing of ideas > discussing of events and people


Geek-chic. It really shows off the curves of my brain nicely.


If I can't get into the Ivory Tower right now, I'll at least sweep its driveway. 
Until then, I'm one with the people: call me a populist. 


Or a simpleton. Whatevs.



2 comments:

  1. You had a key?! And I'm still trying to clambour my way up the side...what a rip.
    I think everyone feels "out", I know I still do and I've practically made a nest in the English department. It's lonely without you, so visit soon <3
    Sparrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! My first comment ever!
    Sparrow, I miss the English Department so much, I've romanticised Honours year. Le sigh. I'd love to come visit and saying that, you should enter the perilous ad world for Friday drinks sometime...
    The key? Haha I bribed the janitor and got one cut secretly - it had a plastic kitsch keyring on it (in fact, name a keyring that isn't kitsch?) - so if you find it feel free to use it. 'They' will know I'm an impostor now, they can smell it on me. You'll have a much better shot.
    <3

    ReplyDelete