Monday 20 June 2011

a little interview I got to do

http://www.revolution.co.za/david-shillinglaw-interview/

 
 

DAVID SHILLINGLAW INTERVIEW


UK artist David Shillinglaw was recently in Cape Town doing his thing. His style, an ADD colour-explosion of type and image is provocative and baits the eye. He’s a pretty busy guy and travels plenty but we were lucky enough to catch up with him and get a few questions in.

How was your stay in Cape Town? Was this your first trip to SA and any plans to return?
My stay in Cape Town was a pocket of paradise, both personal and professional. The freedom to create art every day, on a larger than life scale, both in galleries and on the street is somewhere between living the dream and living in a dream world. I got to paint huge walls and also collaborate with a number of very talented and inspiring people. I met some amazing people in Cape Town and felt very welcomed by everyone I met. One of the things I love about travelling to new places is the unpredictable nature of your new environment – being thrown in at the deep end, you are forced to adjust to new conditions, make new friends, get lost and find yourself again – all these things breathe new life into what I make and keep me excited about what I am doing. I am currently planning a project with Indigo (who I was resident artist with at A Word of Art gallery). If everything goes as planned, I’ll be back next spring. Cape Town stole my heart. I have travelled quite a lot, and it’s definitely one of the richest and most dynamic places I have been. 


So you clearly love to travel. Can you speak any other languages?
I can speak enough French and Spanish to order a meal and ask where the nearest hospital is. I was born is Saudi Arabia, so I have always had a keen interest in Arabic and other languages and cultures. I always try and pick up words and phrases when I travel, so I know a tiny amount of Japanese and Chinese. My American is pretty good. I still consider myself a student of the English language; I’m always learning new words. I love linguistics – written and spoken words fascinate me.


Describe your art in 5 words.
Loaded
Intoxicated
Discordant
Playful
Serendipitous


Describe yourself in 3.
Ridiculous
Hyperactive
Romantic


What are you listening to at the moment?
Today’s play list was something like:
The White Denim
TV on the Radio
The Travelling Band
Saul Williams
John Coltrane
Cold War Kids
Beastie Boys
Devendra Banhart
Phoenix
The Dead Weather
I am also in a band, and right now we are recording our first album, so I’m listening to a lot of the material for that. We are called The Moby Dicks http://www.themobydicks.co.uk/


I love how you incorporate language/typography into your work. Have you read any interesting books lately?
Right now I am reading Just Kids by Patti Smith, it is an amazing book. I recently re-read In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan, anything by him is great. 100 Years of Solitude had a big influence on me and my work. I can always pick up Bukowski, Kerouac or Hunter S.Thompson.

Interview by Lauren Bow

Tags: , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. Eep! I love his work! So cool! Especially the dubstep/funk/afrobeat/jazz one! what a rad thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's super cool hey! I love that one and the ship one too. You should check out some of the work he did in CT: http://www.ukstreetart.co.uk/2011/05/photos-david-shillinglaw-in-cape-town/
    http://www.graffitisouthafrica.com/video-archive/2011/06/03/david-shillinglaw-in-woodstock-cape-town/

    And him in general (rad bloke):
    http://vimeo.com/25132504
    http://davidshillinglaw.tumblr.com/

    Link bombardment complete :)

    ReplyDelete